Hi,
I'm summarizing biophysical rasters (UDEL precipitation and temperature) across administrative units for countries in Africa using (pseudo code):

raster::extract(udel, admin, fun=mean, na.rm=T, small=T)

Out of the 756 units I need data for, extract() fails to return means for a few coastal units (in red on the maps below) even though the rasters show data at these locations.

Is there a particular reason why this might happen? Shall I look for possible geometry errors in my source shapefiles, or could there be another reason?

Maps here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30925475/eclgcdmhapfplaml.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30925475/lmkgmdoohpmhdcjg.png

Thanks for any tip. --Mel.