Hello,

You should know or make assumptions on the distribution of the
precipitation. Let's say it is normally distributed (i.e. bell-shaped).
Then you can calculate the probability of exceeding the quantile /q/ by
pnorm(q, mean, sd, lower.tail = FALSE).
If you have several spatial points and a lot of measurments (stored in
columns of the sf/data.frame) for each of the points, then use
apply(X, MARGIN = 1, FUN = function(measurements) {return(pnorm(q, mean,
sd, lower.tail = FALSE))})
and you can display the probabilities in a map.

HTH,
Ákos
Ákos Bede-Fazekas
Centre for Ecological Research, Hungary