On Fri, 28 Apr 2023, Michael Sumner wrote:

fwiw, a method with geodata/terra

cyp <- geodata::gadm(country = c("CYP", "XNC"), path = tempdir(), version =
"3.6")

terra::aggregate(cyp)

and as per https://github.com/r-spatial/evolution/blob/main/pkgapi_230305_refs.csv.

see ?terra::writeVector to write it out

(rgdal is very old and you should abandon it, it will be removed from
support by the end of this year)

Thank you! Yes, sp will by default switch to using sf in place of rgdal for creating "CRS" objects, and under sp::spTransform in June, and all three retiring packages rgdal, rgeos, and maptools will be gone by October 2023. An sp release will appear in May with a transition guide.

It seems that terra does not have an object corresponding to sp's "CRS" or sf's "crs". As far as I can see, one needs to create an empty SpatVector/SpatRaster object and assign a CRS, coerce to "Spatial", and extract its slot. If this makes sense, sp could use terra (and raster, needed for coercion) rather than sf where workflows did not otherwise use sf. Very grateful for input here or https://github.com/r-spatial/evolution/issues.

Roger

(just as an aside, we can't hit the geodata vector urls directly with gdal
as we can with the rasters, as they are in an R specific format)

Cheers, Mike