thanks!  of course the polygon can be a triangle, but I think the
difference here is that (a) I wanted st_within() if I'm giving my
points first and then my filter, and I think st_contains / st_within
have slightly different opinions about being on the exact boundary
than st_filter().

Anyway, fixing my filter does indeed work!  Thanks Josiah for the help
here.  This is very appealing to me thanks to the ability of duckdb to
open very large remote csv / parquet files without downloading them,
which often contain lat / long columns in my work.

I'll stop bugging the rest of you :-)

here's the working filter for comparison in case anyone is following along.

## a trivial search polygon to filter:
p2 <- rbind(c(0,0), c(0,3), c(3,3), c(3,0), c(0,0))
pol <-st_polygon(list(p2))
txt <- st_as_text(pol)

## Can we use this to filter duckdb?
sql <- tbl(conn, "test") |>
  mutate(geometry = ST_Point(longitude, latitude),
         geom = ST_AsHEXWKB(geometry)) |>
  filter(ST_Within(geometry, ST_GeomFromText({txt}))) |>
  dbplyr::sql_render()
sql
ex <- st_read(conn, query=sql, geometry_column = "geom", EWKB=FALSE)
ex

(note this still differs with sf::st_filter() regarding the 3,3 point,
which I believe is well documented I just overlooked it).

---
Carl Boettiger
http://carlboettiger.info/