I am getting the same kind of error working with stplanr (using function
route_dodgr) as well as osmdata (using function osmdata_sf), which lets me
assume that the latter is the culprit. The error is "attempt to set index
2786142150/2786142150 in SET_STRING_ELT". The index number is a little
different, although in both instances, we are talking about a value in the
2 billion range.
The error message is not terribly illuminating. Does anyone know what is
causing it, and even better, how to work around it?

In the case of the osmdata function, I tried to download a road dataset for
a four-county region in the (SanFran) Bay Area. I have previously
successfully downloaded the OSM road network for a larger extent of the
same geography (albeit directly rather than using the osmdata package).

Dr. Jochen Albrecht, GISP (he/him/his)

Professor for Computational and Theoretical Geography

Department of Geography and Environmental Science
<http://www.geo.hunter.cuny.edu/>

Hunter College CUNY

695 Park Avenue

New York, NY 10065 Just published: GIS and Housing: Principles and Practices
<https://sites.google.com/rojasap.com/gisandhousing/>