On Sun, 6 Mar 2011, Noah Lorang wrote:

I'm not able to replicate using the same setup on several computers, either
with R.app or R running in the terminal, so it's likely something highly
specific to your setup. I'd suggest reinstalling or upgrading R and see if the
problem goes away.

The clearer way to do this in R, in my opinion, is to use the wait=FALSE flag in system(), which has the same effect as & directly in the shell.

Hmm, as documented, it actually appends & to the shell command for you. Whether that is clearer depends on the reader, but wait=FALSE is cross-platform.

Noah