Christian,

what exactly are you talking about? This is entirely unrelated to the thread
you replied to and you're mixing several completely unrelated things below. The
locale is set by your system, not by R. To break down the situations:

- R on the console uses the locale set by the shell it is run from. The most
common cases:

a) in Terminal the encoding is set in the Terminal's preferences
(Advanced->International->Character encoding) and the default is UTF-8. If you
change it in your shell startup files, it will be overridden.

b) xterm inherits your local shell/login settings which are unset by default so
you will be in C locale (assuming you didn't start xterm from Terminal - then
a) applies, obviously)

- R.app GUI uses your system settings (System Preferences -> Language & Text)
for the language and UTF-8 for encoding. If your settings are inconsistent
(conflicting language and format settings) it will give you a warning and fall
back to C. The GUI is designed to work only in the UTF-8 encoding. The
"defaults write org.R-project.R force.LANG en_US.UTF-8" command only affects
the R.app GUI and has the same effect as setting "LANG" to that value in the
shell - in your case you are setting the locale to US english and encoding to
UTF-8.

R doesn't care which locale you run it in - it is entirely up to you. You get
what you ask for :). Only the R.app GUI cares since all I/O is in UTF-8 so you
should either pick a UTF-8 locale or set your system properly, otherwise you'll
get errors when using non-ASCII characters in file names etc.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Simon