On 12-04-15 12:14 PM, Marius Hofert wrote:

Duncan Murdoch<murdoch.dun...@gmail.com>  writes:

On 12-04-15 3:34 AM, Marius Hofert wrote:
Hi,

I couldn't find the vignette for the package 'parallel' (Mac OS X 10.7.3; R
2.15.0). I then tried to (re)install the package (I know I comes with R
natively). I obtained:

,----
|>   require(parallel)
|>   vignette(package="parallel")
| no vignettes found
|>   install.packages("parallel", type="source")
| Installing package(s) into ‘/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/library’
| (as ‘lib’ is unspecified)
| Warning: unable to access index for repository
| http://cran.ch.r-project.org/src/contrib
| Warning: unable to access index for repository
| http://www.bioconductor.org/src/contrib
| Warning message:
| package ‘parallel’ is not available (for R version 2.15.0)

`----

What's wrong?

Cheers,

Marius

PS: Dirk Eddelbuettel sent me the vignette off-list, I just would like to know
how I could get it via 'vignette(package="parallel")'.

Do you have the vignttes from grid, or the one from utils?

Unfortunately not:

,----
|>  require(grid)
|>  vignette(package="grid")
| no vignettes found
|>  require(utils)
|>  vignette(package="utils")
| no vignettes found

`----

If not, you'll need to re-install R.  (I just installed the binary
R-2.15.0.pkg from CRAN, and didn't get those vignettes: so it looks like the
current binary isn't installing them.)

I installed R from source:

,----
| wget http://cran.r-project.org/src/base/R-2/R-2.15.0.tar.gz
| tar -xzf R-2.15.0.tar.gz
| cd R-2.15.0
| ./configure
| make
| make check
| make pdf
| make info
| sudo make install
| sudo make install-info
| sudo make install-pdf
`----

Do I need to do anything additionally to get the vignettes?

I don't usually build on a Mac, but there is a make target called "vignettes", so perhaps you need to explicitly make that.

Duncan Murdoch