I think this is a quartz problem interacting with emacs/ESS.  When I run the
following lines in the *R* buffer,

## ----------
library(grid)
library(lattice)
library(png)

Rlogo.png  <-
readPNG("/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.15/Resources/library/png/img/Rlogo.png",
TRUE)

Rlogo.grob <- rasterGrob(Rlogo.png, width=unit(.64,"in"), y=unit(0,"npc"))
Rlogo.legend <- list(left=list(fun=Rlogo.grob))

## example
xyplot(1:10 ~ 1:10, legend=Rlogo.legend)
## ----------

the plot shows up on the quartz device ok.  When I print from the quartz
device, the sample image
in the print window has two superimposed graphs.  One is the actual image.
 The other is
an upside down mirror image about twice as big.  The printed page shows the
doubled image.

When I print directly to the pdf() device on the Mac, it behaves normally.
When I run the same lines above on the windows() device in Windows, it also
behaves ok.
When I run the same lines from the R gui on the Mac, it behaves normally.

I saw this first with R version 2.15.2 RC (2012-10-18 r60960) and
then when I updated a few minutes ago to
R version 2.15.2 (2012-10-26) -- "Trick or Treat", I still see it.

Sometimes, when I attempt to print from the quartz device while running
under ESS,
I get the pinwheel and this message in the *R* buffer.
> Error: REAL() can only be applied to a 'numeric', not a 'NULL'

Killing R is the only recourse at this point.

Rich

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]