[Previous version was not plain text. Sorry, plain text this time…]

On a related note to the lme4 query… There was a glorious period of time where
rgdal binaries (with it's external dependancies) were available on CRAN for the
mac. Unfortunately, with the introduction of R 3.0 this is no longer the case.
It now requires a rather protracted install process (installing GDAL, then
PROJ4, then installing rgdal from source using the proper configuration
arguments). I understand that this is a known issue
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-geo/2013-April/017989.html, and was
wondering whether CRAN is planning on supporting a binary distribution in the
future. If not, is CRAN Extras planning on hosting it?

I'm currently in the process of updating the OpenStreetMap package, and was
planning on moving rgdal from a suggest to a depends, but would like to know
the lay of the land before proceeding.

Best,
Ian