Dear Prof. Ripley, dear Simon,

Thank you for this information about Xcode and CLTs.

Since I have heard that R and Bioconductor packages should in the future be built with clang since Apple will be discontinuing support of gcc, my question is:

- Which version of Xcode and/or CLTs should Snow Leopard users install in the future? (the last official version for Snow Leopard is xcode_3.2.6)

- Which version of Xcode and/or CLTs should Lion/Mountain Lion users install so that they can still compile their packages with gcc, too?
(the current version is xcode_4.6.2)

From the discussion I understand that it is no longer necessary to install Xcode at all, installing CLTs is sufficient. Is this correct?

Best regards,
Christian