On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urba...@r-project.org>wrote:
[...]

> I just checked, and homebrew proper doesn't even provide Tcl/Tk so it
> seems like this is not really an issue at all. Even the dupes version
> installs in a hidden location so it doesn't clash. Homebrew typically tries
> not to mess up the system so it was historically working along with R very
> well. So do you have some evidence for them not playing well together? I
> know MacPorts and Fink were disasters, but Homebrew has so far tried to
> learn from their mistakes.

Hmmm. It seems that brew tcl-tk does not put anything in /usr/, so it all
seems to be fine, actually.

Quite possibly, my problems come up because I am compiling R from source,
which is a much less serious case. Will try. Anyway, sorry for the noise.

Gabor

> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> > Cheers,

> full control so you cannot have native libraries and HB in the same place
> at the same time. So essentially you have to pick one or the other. There
> are two options:

> libraries in /usr/local and parallel HB. HB is less tested that way,
> though, so that's why HB is shy of recommending it.

> install tcl/tk via HB. It may get complicated if dependencies detect tcl/tk
> so for safety you could rename the .pc files and the t*Config.sh files if
> you don't expect to compile R packages that depend on tcl/tk.

> avoid compiling R packages if at all possible, and I never used stuff that
> uses tcl/tk (that I know of).  My main concern is that I want to install
> SciPy and Python 3 (assuming this can be done in a way that will not get
> Mavericks throw a fit) and that might -- or not -- get some tcl/tk action in.
>  If not, R.app and HB can live together for all I care.

> answer thus far and I'd rather get going.

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]