I got a solved-message from Scott.

> On Jul 3, 2016, at 10:57 AM, David Winsemius <dwinsem...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> I’m not at the level where I could effectively debug this issue and normally
> I wouldn’t jump in, but this is a long holiday weekend in the US and it
> wouldn’t surprise me if Simon didn’t see this for a couple of days.  I would
> first try deleting R.app from the Applications folder and re-installing it
> with a clean copy:
>
> http://r.research.att.com/mavericks/R-3.3-branch/R-GUI-7238-3.3-mavericks-Release.dmg
>
> <http://r.research.att.com/mavericks/R-3.3-branch/R-GUI-7238-3.3-mavericks-Release.dmg>
>
> I do see  “debug” versions but I have never seen it suggested that ordinary
> users deploy those versions as a first step.
>
> I would also delete the .Rdata and the .Rapp.history files from your working
> directory. They have a record of getting corrupted an causing instabilities
> of obscure causes. They are “hidden files” so you either need to “show them”
> in the Finder or you need to sue Terminal.app to run a bash session and use
> mv.

… as well as a suggestion from a different source that `sue`-ing the Terminal
might not be appropriate.

> This is the first method:
>
> Open Terminal found in Finder > Applications > Utilities
> In Terminal, paste the following:          defaults write com.apple.finder
> AppleShowAllFiles YES

I did wonder about using YES rather than TRUE. That was copied from a google
hit.  ISTR that in the past I used TRUE. Didn’t notice the difference until
after posting. I later did a search but failed to find documentation that YES
was a bash synonym of TRUE. I now pulled up the $man defaults page and it
includes this line:

-bool[ean]  Allows the user to specify a boolean as the value for the
                 given preference key.  Value must be TRUE, FALSE, YES, or NO.

So at least Finder.app won’t be sueing me.

—
David