Hello:

I recently upgraded to R 3.4.0, and I've so far been unable to "install.packages('RODBC')" or "R CMD INSTALL RODBC_1.3-15.tar.gz". Both end with the following:

configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘RODBC’

I had RODBC installed in R 3.3, but that was before I upgraded to macOS Sierra 10.12.4. I've tried to RTFM, but I don't know which FMTR, and I can't decrypt the documentation I've found that seem relevant. I couldn't find the answer in Ripley's "ODBC Connectivity" vignette.

"iodbc-42.5/iodbc/README.MACOSX" says, "You first need to install the latest Mac OS X Developer Packages, which can be found at "http://developer.apple.com/tools";. I think I've done that, but I don't know how to check it.

"iodbc-42.5/iodbc/README.MACOSX" continues, "Then, you can open the Xcode Project Builder files under mac/iODBCinst, mac/iODBC, mac/iODBCtest and mac/iODBCtestw,". I don't know how find any of these. It further continues, "or execute the following commands from a terminal session to build all the frameworks and demo applications:

    $ cd mac
    $ make"

I just did "$ cd mac" and got, "-bash: cd: mac: No such file or directory". Evidently, I need to substitute something for "mac" here, but I don't know what.

      Suggestions?  Thanks,
      Spencer Graves