My 2 cents: Just go for the inexpensive desktop + Linux. Debian-based or RedHat-based distros are great for developing R/Bioconductor packages. I've been maintaining/troubleshooting package builds on Linux/Windows/Mac for 15 years and Linux is **by far** the easiest platform to deal with. Still a mystery to me why one would choose macOS for developing R/Bioconductor packages.

H.