Tim,

> On 3/04/2020, at 2:01 AM, BATES Timothy <tim.ba...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Moving to a compiler that drops support for OpenMP seems a sad choice,
> especially now we’ve all climbed the learning curve of the non-Apple compiler
> (the real barrier was lack of a pkg installer and that’s done now).

It has caused a lot of issues, it trips people on a daily basis which is just
not worth it. Also with Apple's increasingly strict rules about what can be
distributed we don't want to be in the business in maintaining a separate
toolchain. There have been numerous issues with C++ exceptions so the fall out
was much bigger than originally expected and it would only get worse.

> Losing OpenMP for the CRAN version of OpenMx/umx (our SEM packages) would be
> a big loss for users (for whom the CRAN version now supports OpenMP giving
> them a 2-12x speed up). In general, R on Mac is made more viable by having
> OpenMP
>
> Re Brian’s points, I’d say that the distribution problem is crucial: Packages
> not on CRAN have dramatically diminished accessibility/useage.

The idea is that if a package deems this critical, it can enable this for the
users. As it is now, packages can still supply iomp and use it.

That said, I would open for discussion the ability to distribute iomp with the
R binary, but it would not be supported by R directly, i.e., it would be on the
package author to make sure that the way the package operates is compatible
with that binary. Let me know what you think.

> Second, a great range of compute-intensive problems are amenable to division
> amongst cores, including nearly all models that take more than a nominal
> amount of time to run: So simulations, CIs, bootstrapping, nearly everything
> in genetics all speeds up.

Yes, but OpenMP is rarely used for those tasks. In R OpenMP can be only used
for very small subset of such tasks - which is why alternative approaches are
much more common.

Cheers,
Simon