Gilberto,

can you provide details, please? (code, file to test etc.) The claim was that
this is specific to BigSur which I doubt from your description. Please start a
new thread about that at it seem entirely unrelated to the discussion at hand.
There was an incompatibility with BigSur, but that was addressed.

Thanks,
Simon

> On 3/12/2020, at 11:11 AM, GilbertoCamara <gilberto.camara.i...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Simon
>
> Unfortunately, the problems reported are real. The rgdal version from CRAN
> fails to recognise images in JPEG2000 format used by Copernicus Sentinel-2
> satellite. I have investigated the matter carefully with Roger Bivand.
>
> I tried many combinations on Mac OS Big Sur:
> (a) rgdal from CRAN (binary) + GDAL from homebrew.
> (b) rgdal from CRAN (source) + GDAL from homebrew.
> (c) rgdal from CRAN (binary) + GDAL Mac OS Frameworks from
> https://www.kyngchaos.com/software/frameworks/
> (d) rgdal from CRAN (source) + GDAL from kyngchaos.
> (e) rgdal from CRAN (source) + GDAL/GEOS/etc (source) with Apple clang 11.0
> (f) rgdal from CRAN (source) + GDAL/GEOS/etc (source) with Apple clang 12.0
>
> Only option (f) works correctly.
>
> Best regards
> Gilberto
>
>> On 2 Dec 2020, at 22:44, Simon Urbanek <simon.urba...@r-project.org> wrote:
>>
>> Are you chasing a red herring here? Switching tools won help you - in fact
>> they cause more issues since you'd need R-devel version of R to avoid
>> breakage with the most recent tools or extra flags. I'm not sure which issue
>> you are trying to solve. For gdal et al - make sure you install the latest
>> version for CRAN - it is compatible with BigSur, older versions (before
>> BigSur) were not.
>>
>> Please start a new thread about questions unrelated to the original post as
>> it's unclear if there are any open questions in the thread. Also please only
>> answer if your have anything useful to say - if someone asks a question
>> about the GUI it's rather pointless to post when you say you don't use it
>> ... And if you ask a question, please be specific so we can help.
>>
>> There is a lot of misinformation around, so be careful with random
>> suggestions, they are very often plain wrong.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Simon
>>

>>> On 3/12/2020, at 6:52 AM, Spencer Graves <spencer.gra...@prodsyse.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>>       Sorry:  Typo:  I tried "sudo xcode-select --install" and got the same
>>> error.  This was in Terminal where "The default interactive shell is now
>>> zsh."  It's not critical, because "I was able to update Xcode from App