Even better is to learn one of the many ways to start R in a working directory
of your choice, so you don't have to mix code and data from different projects
together in one directory just because that happens to be where your default R
icon sets it up.

Some ways:
a) Use Terminal and the cd command before invoking R.
b) Create a .RData file with nothing in it in the desired directory.
Double-click that to automatically set the working directory there in R.
c) Use RStudio, which lets you create an Rproj file that serves the same
purpose as the .RData file but doesn't risk injecting broken code or old data
into your working environment.