On 13/02/2021 4:54 p.m., Simon Urbanek wrote:
As mentioned earlier, the issue is likely that your X11-auto-launch is not working. You
can start X11 (=XQuartz) yourself and set DISPLAY=:0 as you would on any unix system or
start X11 with X11(":0")
[personally, I hate that auto-launch "feature" since it tries to start XQuartz
even if you don't want it].

Thanks. Here's another datum: I did my last build of rgl with the beta XQuartz installed. I'm now back to 2.7.11 and I get this when I try to start rgl:

> library(rgl)
Error in dyn.load(dynlib) :
unable to load shared object '/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so':

dlopen(/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so, 6): Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib Referenced from: /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/4.0/Resources/library/rgl/libs/rgl.so Reason: Incompatible library version: rgl.so requires version 11.0.0 or later, but libX11.6.dylib provides version 10.0.0
Error: package or namespace load failed for ‘rgl’:
 .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rgl', details:
  call: NULL
  error:        Loading rgl's DLL failed.
This build of rgl depends on XQuartz, which you can download from xquartz.org.

So it appears they updated the version of libX11.6.dylib, and rgl is asking for the wrong one.

Is there some way for me to request a particular version during my build, or at least detect that the wrong version is installed?

Duncan Murdoch

Cheers,
Simon