Hi,

This is a repost of a topic which I have accidentally posted on r-devel mailing
list:

first, let me appreciate the efforts around "Apple Silicone" builds of R, works
like a charm! However, I have found recently that this build does not have
cairo in capabilities() and in turn I cannot use cairo_pdf device. Intel build
has cairo readily available, but M1 does not. I have done various attempts on
installing cairo using brew or install.package("Cairo"); maybe the most
preferable way is to follow https://mac.r-project.org/bin/, but that also
failed stating "architecture aarch64 is not supported on os darwin20, only
available architectures: x86_64arm64". I have also tried downloading cairo from
https://mac.r-project.org/bin/darwin20/arm64/ and copying it into opt/R/arm64,
but with no success... Nor current devel R worked for me in that issue.

I think that I overlooked something, maybe around installing cairo to
opts/R/arm64 (is it really mere copying?). In that case I would edit the docs
and websites around the Apple Silicone build to better clarify what needs to be
done, but I may be that cairo is just not yet supported.

Anyway many thank for looking into this!

Best,
Jan