On 19/02/2024 5:22 a.m., peter dalgaard wrote:
To be precise: execute access, not write access.

However, neither that nor deleting the dir gives the exact "Operation not
permitted" error.

I had deleted the directory using the Finder, so "cd .." led to "~/.Trash". If I delete it using "rm -r", I get a slightly different message.

Duncan

-pd

I wanted to see the options to R CMD INSTALL, and was surprised to see
this output:

$ R CMD INSTALL --help
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted
Error in tools:::.install_packages() :
   current working directory cannot be ascertained
shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access
parent directories: Operation not permitted

I installed R from CRAN, and am not running the current version:  I'm
still on 4.3.1, with OS also kind of old:  Monterey 12.7.3, so I was
surprised by this.  Is anyone else seeing it?

This happens when you don't have write access in the current dir:

mkdir /tmp/test
cd /tmp/test
chmod 0 .
R CMD INSTALL --help