I agree with Dan, memory will often be the limiting
factor.  I added RAM (16GB total) to my ppc and have
had a much more productive environment, both for
32 bit and 64 bit applications.

Even if a single R session cannot benefit from multiple
cores, if you can break your processes into parallel
pieces you can use your separate CPUs with cluster
software, or just run multiple R jobs manually.

I'd recommend maximizing your RAM quantity over
RAM speed.  Also, determine the speed gain.
Speed gains of 10-fold or more are noticeable,
speed gains of 2 to 3 fold rarely make much of a
difference.

Steven McKinney, Ph.D.

Statistician
Molecular Oncology and Breast Cancer Program
British Columbia Cancer Research Centre

email: smckinney +at+ bccrc +dot+ ca

tel: 604-675-8000 x7561

BCCRC