ya, I think what they mean, and what mislead me is that at the top of the
page of the devloper
site they provide only a direct link to 3.2.4.  So,I  first download 3.2.4
and then discover
that it works only on 10.6. then go back and try to find an earlier version,
without knowing
which version is required for 10.5.

as opposed to a creating a site or system where you select the version of
the OS you are working on and then getting a direction to the right version
of Xcode.

In anycase it worked like a charm,  Rcompression, RKML and RCurl (woohoo)
all installed
with no issues.

So I'm very happy. Thanks Simon!

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Simon Urbanek
<simon.urba...@r-project.org>wrote:

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:55 PM, steven mosher wrote:
>
> > Found this for future reference in case anybody else needs it
> >
> > "Apple’s developer website only links to the latest version of Xcode,
> which requires Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6).
> > If you’re still running Leopard (10.5), you need to go to this
> alternative developer website:
> >
> > http://connect.apple.com/
> >

> .. just for completeness this is exactly the same as clicking on "Developer
> Downloads" on the developer website (so the above is a bit misleading..)
>

> > then look under developer tools in the right hand  column
> >

> Cheers,
> Simon
>

> > Thanks guys.
> >
> > On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM, Simon Urbanek <
> simon.urba...@r-project.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 17, 2010, at 5:53 PM, steven mosher wrote:
> >
> > > I've come to the point where some of the packages I want to use require
> me
> > > to work from source.
> > >
> > > ERROR: dependencies ŒRcompression‚ are not available for package ŒRKML‚
> > > * removing Œ/Users/mosher/Library/R/2.11/library/RKML‚
> > > * installing *source* package ŒRcompression‚ ...
> > > Checking configuration for Rcompression to find libz and libbz2
> > > checking for gcc... no
> > > checking for cc... no
> > > checking for cl.exe... no
> > > configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> > > See `config.log' for more details.
> > > ERROR: configuration failed for package ŒRcompression‚
> > >
> > > So, It appears that I have to install a compiler. Looking at Xcode the
> > > package that was available required an OS upgrade
> > > is Xcode the only option or is there another option I can use..
> > >

> > Xcode is available for pretty much all OS X versions so you must be
> looking at the wrong one. If you have OS X 10.5 you want Xcode 3.1.4 and for
> OS X 10.6 you want Xcode 3.2.3 or 3.2.4. They will be on your PATH
> automatically once you install them.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Simon

        [[alternative HTML version deleted]]