Thanks for the suggestions.  I did go through the JAGS installation manual
slowly and carefully, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something.

I may not have been clear about what I did.  The JAGS that is installed is the
pre-compiled binary (I wanted to be sure that how I was compiling JAGS wasn't
causing the problems).  The compilation flags below are generated by R (I used
gcc to compile R,  and linked R to the MKL BLAS, and that seems to have worked
well).  Perhaps I need to change my Makevars file for rjags?  Because (I think)
R only (seems to) use the Makevars in my ~/.R folder, it's hard to keep track
of what's linking to what across multiple projects (hence, why the -lgsl is in
there).

In any event, what did seem to work is when I ran R as root, and then installed
rjags.  I can now load the library even when not running R as root.  So perhaps
there was some kind of permissions problem that was keeping R from accessing
the jags library (which is in /usr/local/lib).  Is there a particular R library
path variable that I should be looking at?  I do have /usr/local/lib as part of
R_DYLIB_LIBRARY_PATH, DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

On Oct 10, 2010, at 8:11 AM, <plum...@iarc.fr> <plum...@iarc.fr> wrote:

> [...]
>>> checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
>>> checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
>>> checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /usr/bin/grep
>>> checking for egrep... /usr/bin/grep -E
>>> checking for ANSI C header files... yes
>>> checking for sys/types.h... yes
>>> checking for sys/stat.h... yes
>>> checking for stdlib.h... yes
>>> checking for string.h... yes
>>> checking for memory.h... yes
>>> checking for strings.h... yes
>>> checking for inttypes.h... yes
>>> checking for stdint.h... yes
>>> checking for unistd.h... yes
>>> checking Console.h usability... yes
>>> checking Console.h presence... yes
>>> checking for Console.h... yes
>>> checking for gcc... gcc
>>> checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
>>> checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
>>> checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
>>> checking for jags_version in -ljags... yes
>>> configure: creating ./config.status
>>> config.status: creating src/Makevars
>>> configure: creating ./config.status
>>> config.status: creating src/Makevars
>>> config.status: creating R/unix/zzz.R
>>> ** libs
>>> *** arch - x86_64
>>> g++ -arch x86_64 -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include
>> -I/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/include/x86_64
>> -I/usr/local/include/JAGS
>> -I/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/089/Frameworks/mkl/Headers
>> -I/Install_Files/MKL_gfortran_interface/include/em64t/lp64    -fPIC  -m64
>> -msse4.2 -g -O2 -c jags.cc -o jags.o
>>> g++ -arch x86_64 -dynamiclib -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names -undefined
>> dynamic_lookup -single_module -multiply_defined suppress
>> -L/opt/intel/Compiler/11.1/089/Frameworks/mkl/Libraries/em64t
>> -L/Users/braunm/Install_Files/MKL_gfortran_interface/lib/em64t -o rjags.so
>> jags.o -lgsl -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_sequential -lmkl_core -lpthread
>> -F/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/.. -framework R -Wl,-framework
>> -Wl,CoreFoundation
>>> installing to /Users/braunm/.R/Library/rjags/libs/x86_64
>>> ** R
>>> ** data
>>> ** preparing package for lazy loading
>>> ** help
>>> *** installing help indices
>>> ** building package indices ...
>>> Error : .onLoad failed in loadNamespace() for 'rjags', details:
>>> call: dyn.load(file, DLLpath = DLLpath, ...)
>>> error: unable to load shared library
>> '/Users/braunm/.R/Library/rjags/libs/x86_64/rjags.so':
>>> dlopen(/Users/braunm/.R/Library/rjags/libs/x86_64/rjags.so, 10): Symbol
>> not found: _JAGS_NA
>>> Referenced from: /Users/braunm/.R/Library/rjags/libs/x86_64/rjags.so
>>> Expected in: flat namespace
>>> in /Users/braunm/.R/Library/rjags/libs/x86_64/rjags.so
>>> ERROR: installing package indices failed
>>> * removing ‘/Users/braunm/.R/Library/rjags’
>>>

>>> However, when I go to look at the symbols in the jags library, I see
>>>
>>> braunm4: /usr/local/lib $ nm libjags.dylib |grep JAGS
>>> 0000000000110338 S _JAGS_NAN
>>> 0000000000110348 S _JAGS_NEGINF
>>> 0000000000110340 S _JAGS_POSINF
>>> 000000000000133c t __GLOBAL__I_JAGS_NA
>>>
>>> and when I try
>>>
>>> braunm4: /usr/local/lib $ nm libjags.a |grep JAGS
>>>                U _JAGS_NA
>>>                U _JAGS_NEGINF
>>>                U _JAGS_NA
>>>                U _JAGS_NA