On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Richard R. Liu wrote:

Hello,

Up to now I've reinstalled all packages when upgrading R.  Is there an easier
way.  I'm wondering whether just copying the contents of ~/Library/R/2.11 to
~/Library/R/2.12 followed by updating in Packages & Date > Package Installer >
Update All in the R Console (R.app) would do the trick.

I don't believe so.  Running

update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE, ask=FALSE)

should, though. (You will find more discussion in the archives or the rw-FAQ -- equally relevant for Mac binary packages.)

One thing to watch is that this does not update packages which are no longer available or not available in binary form (rather a lot for 2.12.0 on the Mac), so

summary(packageStatus())

can be useful.

When you have an update from 2.x.y to 2.z.0 with z > x you should reinstall all packages -- you don't need to in all cases but only the experts know which. Also, rendering of help improves continuously so by updating you get the best available rendering.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard R. Liu
richard....@pueo-owl.ch