This is a general R question, not specific to Macintosh, so I’d suggest asking
on R-help, if you haven’t already.

In the meantime, if you had
  20906
Would that be day ‘20’ of month ‘9’ or day ‘2’ of month ‘09’ ?

Since your form is not consistent, you will probably have to either split the
string apart into separate day, month, and year components, or perhaps stick a
‘0’ on the front of the string when the number of characters is five, and then
use the as.Date() function. The examples in the help page for as.Date should be
sufficient to show you what to do.

You will also receive better help if you show what you have tried.

-Don