Inlined below:

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Steve Lianoglou <
mailinglist.honey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Are you still having problems?

  yes, it's pretty bad. For example,I launch R . At the start up R consumes
about 50-60mb.
  I then merely open a document, an existing script, memory usage jumps to
500mb.
  I then select a couple lines to copy. Memory runs past 1gb and the system
freezes for minutes at a time. Then magically the memory drops back down to
50 mb. This happened with R.2.11 and now with R 2.12.

> I'd be surprised if R-2.12 itself has anything to do with the problems
> you're seeing, but assuming 2.11 is still on your system, you can
> switch to it easily by using Rswitch, that you can find here:
>
> http://r.research.att.com/#other
>
> It assumes 2.11 was installed via the normal R installers, ie. it lives in:
>
> /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.11
>
> A few Q's for you:
>
> (1) Did you reinstall your R libraries for 2.12 from scratch (good
> idea) , or did you copy them over from your 2.11 install (bad idea)

   I downloaded the 2.12 package and installed it. 2.11 is still in place

> (2) Are you using R from R.app or from the terminal?

 R.app

> (2a) When you run are from the Terminal, does it still exhibit this
> behavior?
> (2b) How about if you start R with the --vanilla flag?, eg:
>
> $ R --vanilla

  I'll give that a try and let you know.

> If you want to completely uninstall R 2.12 and start from scratch, you
> can do that from the terminal, too:
>
> $ sudo rm -Rf /Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Versions/2.12

  Great. My other issue is that a library I depend on "ncdf" worked under
R.2.11 but it's absent  now and it looks like the upgrade to that package
isnt on cran for the Mac anymore.