Hi Marian,

You can limit the space available to the whole figure when plotting the tree (this is when the size of the plot is fixed). For example,

tr <- rcoal(10)
x <- 1:10
plot(tr, x.lim = 5)
phydataplot(x, tr)

This is equivalent to playing with xlim and/or ylim in barplot(). You can also play with label.offset in phydataplot() to improve the aspect of the figure (depending on the label lengths), or with par(mar = c(... to leave more or less space around the plot.

Cheers,

Emmanuel