Thanks Brian,

I think I might have to look into that idea.

Whilst picante::Kcalc() is speedy for 12 taxon trees, it's a little slow
for the tree & data I actually want to test which has 11,449 tips (a pruned
version of Hinchliffe & Smith, 2014 [1]). It takes nearly 3 hours to
calculate a single Kcalc() for a tree this size on my machine, and I'd like
to do 200-1000 random reps, not just one calculation.
Cluster needed!

[1] Data from: Some limitations of public sequence data for phylogenetic
inference (in plants) Hinchliff CE, Smith SA (2014)
http://dx.doi.org/10.5061/dryad.450qq