Thank you all for your very informative responses.

I will try the brms package as Jon suggested - I have read a bit about WAIC
being more appropriate or favourable than the DIC but I was (until now)
unfamiliar with the brms package.

We are very much working within a predictive framework where model selection is
followed by k-fold cross validation so I would very much be curious about your
thoughts on that type of cross-validation on a phylogenetic glmm

Thanks again and all the best

Liam