My biggest issue with this setup, as you give it, is that it isn't
clear how you'll make this into a test - is there some summary
statistic of the null morphospace you'll be generating many times, and
then comparing that distribution to the observed value of the
observed, real data? I would suggest thinking more about this aspect.

I hope this helps,
-Dave

On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 5:35 PM françois RIGAL <frantz.ri...@hotmail.fr> wrote:

> Hi all
> I have a conceptual question related to the use of separate models of
> evolution to reconstruct a morphospace.
> Ok let’s consider that I have 6 endemic species on an island-like habitats
> for which I have morphological traits. I want to generate a null expectation
> for the morphospace of this community keeping the phylogenetic structure
> unchanged. These 6 species belong to 3 different clades (2 species each).
> Let’s consider that I have the phylogeny and the traits for all the mainland
> representative of those three clades. My null hypotheses behind would be that
> endemic species evolve at the same rate/same direction that mainland species.
> My idea is the following: I fit different models of evolution to each clade
> separately (endemic species included) e.g. BM, OU and use the parameters of
> the best model to simulate random traits for each clade. I do 1000 runs and,
> at each run, I pick up from my random clade-set of traits the 2 endemic
> species, and re-create therefore a null morphospace for my community of 6
> endemic species.
> So far, I cannot think about any possible “pitfalls”, but, since I did not
> find any similar approaches in the literature, I am wondering whether it is
> problematic to mix in the same null morphospace null trait values that have
> been generated from distinct phylogenies and models of evolution.
> any comments / advices are welcome
> Many thanks
>
> François

David W. Bapst, PhD
Asst Research Professor, Geology & Geophysics, Texas A & M University
Postdoc, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, Univ of Tenn Knoxville
https://github.com/dwbapst/paleotree