Hi all, I just wanted to share this pcm PhD opportunity supervised by my
collaborator and I:

*PhD position: comparative phylogenetic studies on insect body size*
Closing date ~ *February 10th*. Open to applicants from all nations.

We are seeking a PhD student (September 2020 start) to join the Department
of Zoology at Estonia's leading research centre, the University of Tartu.
We propose that the PhD thesis will address questions such as associations
between body size and environment, macroevolutionary trends in body size,
and inferring constraints on body size. The PhD student will primarily be
running comparative analyses upon novel phylogenetic trees for moths
(generated by other members of the lab) using various R packages (e.g.
BAMMtools, geomorph, ape, phytools) and will also participate in data
collection (incl. examining museum specimens). The work will be supervised
by Prof. Toomas Tammaru (http://kodu.ut.ee/~tammarut) and Dr. John Clarke (
http://bit.ly/2qimTCy). The group has a solid background in evolutionary
ecology of insects, phylogenetic analyses and taxonomy of Lepidoptera, as
well as collaboration ties with various universities in Europe (e.g.
potential to collaborate with Niklas Wahlberg at Lund University, and
Sebastian Höhna at LMU Munich) and North America.

PhD studies in Estonia last for 4 years and publishing research papers is a
requirement; PhD students receive competitive scholarships allowing them to
work on their thesis full time (alongside taking some relevant classes). A
successful candidate will have an excellent academic record, experience
with statistical analyses and interest in evolutionary biology. Some
experience and/or genuine interest in the ecology/evolution/taxonomy of
insects as well as previous experience with phylogenetic comparative
methods is an advantage.

The candidate should have their master’s degree by August 01, 2020 (if you
are due to complete in September 2020, still contact us, we may be able to
find a solution - a master's is an essential requirement for the
institution, sadly); the enrolment as a PhD student will be from September
01, 2020. If you are considering applying, *please contact us before the
end of February 10th (any time zone). *Please email Toomas (
toomas.tamm...@ut.ee) for additional details and so he can add you to the
list of candidates, and myself (j.clarke.pa...@gmail.com) for any general
questions / to register your interest if you do not receive a reply from
Toomas.

Additional information will be added to this twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/jclarkepaleo/status/1219285440555077632

Please share this with anyone you think might be interested.

All the best,

John