Paulo Matos and I have recently started porting Chez Scheme
to the ARM and RISC-V ISAs. We'll be focusing on the 64-bit
versions. The goal is to get Racket CS to run on those
architectures.

Motivation: ARM has rapidly grown over the years, and there
is speculation that Apple may soon adopt ARM in their PCs
and laptops (see, e.g.,
https://daringfireball.net/linked/2020/04/23/bloomberg-arm-macs). ARM
is already used in the iPhones and iPads, whereas their
laptops, desktops, and workstations are all x86. In the
mid-2000s, Apple switched from PowerPC to x86, which is
where we Mac users are today. The thinking is that a similar
switch might occur in the near-ish future, and it makes
sense to get Racket ready for that.

RISC-V is an exciting new(ish) architecture (or, better,
family of architectures). It has deep roots in academic
hardware research, and is even open source. So far,
RISC-V-based desktops, laptops, and servers are somewhat
uncommon (though they do exist), but they'll probably be
coming.

To our knowledge, no one is currently working on porting
Chez Scheme to aarch64, nor for rv64. If you are aware of
such efforts, please let us know.

We welcome comments and suggestions. Work will take place in
Paulo's clone of the Racket clone of Chez Scheme:

  https://github.com/pmatos/ChezScheme

Jesse & Paulo