The continuously-on version of check syntax intentionally drops the
coloring parts of the "click the button" version of check syntax. It
does this so it doesn't have to fight with the syntax colorer, so I am
reluctant to turn it back on.

If you use only Racket-like languages, it may work for you to go to
the preferences dialog (Color tab, Racket sub-tab) and change the
styling of the "keyword" option. Then, the things listed in the
Editing tab -> Indenting will show up with whatever you set the
"keyword" option to.

If you use other languages where you control the syntax colorer (or
there is a notion of "keyword" that's not lexically sensitive) you can
also get the same effect by changing how the tokens are identified.

hth,
Robby