I just found this:
http://docs.racket-lang.org/tools/adding-languages.html#%28elem._drracket~3adefault-extension%29

But I tried using it by changing the definition of scribble-base-reader-info in
scribble/base/reader.rkt to:
(define (scribble-base-reader-info)
  (lambda (key defval default)
    (case key
      [(color-lexer)
       (dynamic-require 'syntax-color/scribble-lexer 'scribble-inside-lexer)]
      [(definitions-text-surrogate)
       'scribble/private/indentation]
      [(drracket:default-extension)
       "scrbl"]
      [else (default key defval)])))

And it didn’t work.

What is the proper way to do this, or am I misunderstanding the purpose of this?