> Once I get my head around what's needed to connect up a custom
> reader

Matthew's example from his talk at the first RacketCon (and other
conferences) might be a good place to start:
https://github.com/mflatt/scratchy/blob/master/scratchy/reader.rkt
https://github.com/mflatt/scratchy/blob/master/scratchy/parser.rkt

>> I seem to recall that Racket used to come with a combinator parser
library. It's been removed but I don't remember why

(Replying to myself) I found the old library. Looks like it was
discontinued for lack of a maintainer.
http://planet.racket-lang.org/package-source/plt/combinator-parser.plt/1/0/planet-docs/combinator-parser/index.html