On Jul 1, 2015, at 7:07 AM, AJ Campbell <a...@rocketsail.com> wrote:

> JSON is probably going to be the go-to format to send/receive renderable 3D
> packets.  The thought of doing it with XML makes me feel ill. I'm sure Racket
> can handle JSON data (it very well might already for all I know),

It does of course.

> but Javascript found its way across the whole stack (among other reasons)
> because we love the idea of having a universal language to eliminate the
> serialization between client and server, plus it knocks down communication
> barriers between front-end and back-end team members.

That's actually a problem. When we launched Racket, Matthew insisted from the
get-go that office partners do not communicate orally about things. Pop quiz:
why was he right?

In my experience teaching courses where I give free choice of PLs for a
distributed system, few languages make it easy for seniors to implement
cross-process/network communication right. I always implement the systems by
myself and let students vote to which format they want to stick: S-expressions
(1958, but still better than what people invent now), XML, or JSON. For me,
it's a two-line switch. For those on the losing end, it's a catastrophe. Pop
quiz: why?