> Perhaps this isn’t applicable in this case, but may I suggest a less-common
> alternative: no prefixing at all? If you put all the commands into a separate
> module, users of the module can use ‘prefix-in’ to choose whatever prefix
> they prefer.

Prefixes (and suffixes) have two purposes. One is to disambiguate a
global namespace, as with the "set-" or "hash-" functions. I think
your proposal applies in this case and I mostly agree.

The other purpose is to convey a (sometimes package-local) convention.
For example, users of my Parsack package know that any $-prefixed
identifier is a parser. Removing the prefix would defeat the
readability that I'm trying to achieve, similar to removing the '?'
from predicates.

John's case seems to fall into the latter so I think a prefix would be
useful. (And I second Neil T's suggestion.)