On Fri, Jul 03, 2015 at 12:38:26PM -0400, Greg Hendershott wrote:
Being git, there are probably a variety of ways to go about this. What
I might try (but haven't verified first-hand):

One-time setup:
- On master, `git pull --ff-only upstream`.
- On master, create from master a new branch named "my-master" (or better name).
- On my-master, merge your PR branch (get its commits on my-master).

Going forward, periodically:
- On master, `git pull --ff-only upstream`.
- On my-master, `git rebase master`.  In other words, replay your
commits on top of the latest upstream master.

I think?? Maybe there's a simpler way to do this.

I'm a big fan of using `git remote update`, which pulls in new commits
and updates the cursors of the remote branches, but doesn't change any
of your local branches.  You can do it safely without worrying what
branch you are on.  Then on your branch you can run `git rebase
origin/master`.

My two cents on a good way to do this.

-- William