Neil Toronto wrote on 07/04/2015 05:29 PM:

I don't know, but I want most of these things. I assume this is related to your earlier question about games? :)

Partly. :) I've also been dealing with GC for years in non-game HTTP servers in which some requests are time-sensitive, and even just being able to temporarily inhibit GC (or temporarily greatly increase the GC trigger conditions) seems like it would help with some strategies.

As far as I can tell, GC is the only thing keeping Racket from being suitable for making serious games.

Seems that way, on current-gen targets. On last-gen consoles and older mobile devices, I suppose that a programmer would have to get fancy to get past tight RAM footprint constraints, but fast RAM is so cheap now.

I'm also interested in minimizing garbage generation. Right now, it seems to involve hard systems-programming-type thinking, like coding performance-sensitive stuff in C or C++ does (contrasted with naive C/C++ application programming), although the tools you're dealing with are different.

Neil ⊥

Neil ∨