Yes, sorry, I've been traveling and didn't have time to respond. I was
originally tempted to say "statically typed" and then realized that wasn't
exactly right, because it was not static types that would forbid such a
construction, so I said "static languages" suggesting languages where
things cannot be so easily changed.

I'm not so familiar with reader macros. The documentation looks pretty
extensive so I don't have to time to absorb it right now. I would imagine
that macros are not closures, therefore they shouldn't have any free
variables. But perhaps that's an oversimplification, and there are cases
where you need to write a macro to generate some expression with free
variables in it. I guess at the time that the macro is expanded, it must
find the right bindings for the variables.

Matthew Flatt gave a nice demonstration of a clean way to do that (using
multiple scopes with colors). I'm not sure how things might be different
for reader macros, though. It seems to me that while the input of a reader
macro is different (plain text instead of sexprs), the output is still
sexprs, so the same sort of scoping rules should apply.