It has been a little more than a week and we've stopped getting results.

The full results should be publicly available. Here is a summary:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HSwtxLhz5HWGMJjMXaO8LQyHJsdMkGbBlRa4fU7Sa34/viewanalytics

and here is the raw data:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rZNNGwupMZTybxKRhukLdgA8VIA8oPlQ7nPk8Gv52Es/edit#gid=348615477

My interpretation of the data is as follows:

- The #:keyword syntax is liked fine with a rating of 5.67
- The :keyword syntax is more loved with a rating of 6.9
- But change is not popular, average of 5.1 with high standard deviation
- People that really like #:keyword do not want a change and do not like
:keyword
- People that really like :keyword want a change

I am genuinely surprised :keyword saw so much support and that change was
so attractive to people.

Naturally whenever you do stuff like this, you want to ask more questions,
like what about keyword:, what about supporting both, etc.

Jay

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM, Neil Van Dyke <n...@neilvandyke.org>
wrote:

> We are conducting a highly scientific poll.
>
> The question we want to answer is whether people would like for the Racket
> standard languages to have symbols that begin with the colon character
> (except for the symbol `:`) to read the same has keywords that begin with
> pound-colon.
>
> That is, when this glorious colon-keywords support is added, instead of
> having to type and look at:
>
>     (foo #:abc 1 #:xyx 42)
>
> you can choose to bask in the beauty of:
>
>     (foo :abc 1 :xyx 42)
>
> Then you would be free to use the gorgeous colon-keywords everywhere in
> Racket, including in quick one-line examples in email list posts.
>
> All people of great aesthetic sense, intellect, and good moral fiber, who
> would naturally like everyone to have the right to use either
> colon-keywords or (eww) pound-colon keywords (in unity, and without
> unnecessary `#lang` schisms!), should answer the quick poll:
>
>     http://goo.gl/forms/Kwl3uZVMsb
>
> (When the poll question asks "Is it worth changing?", read it is as "You
> are a good person, and you naturally think Racket should support both
> colon-keywords and pound-colon keywords, right?")
>
> I call upon all freedom-loving Racketeers to stand up and fight for the
> righteous cause of colon-keywords.  The moment to answer this highly
> scientific poll is now.
>
> Neil V.

Jay McCarthy
Associate Professor
PLT @ CS @ UMass Lowell
http://jeapostrophe.github.io

           "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing,
      for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."
                          - D&C 64:33