Hi all,

I am exploring whether Racket could be a Lisp replacement for Python in
scientific and engineering calculations. I currently use Python extensively in
teaching chemical engineering courses
(http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/pycse/) and in running molecular simulations
(http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/dft-book/), but I am interested in
transitioning these to a Lisp.

Why? Because I really like writing Lisp code, and some interesting things I can
do with it. My current experience is all with emacs-lisp, which at the moment
has no hope for replacing Python as it lacks a real ffi.

Python works for scientific/engineering calculations because of
numpy/scipy/matplotlib which provide the majority of our needs, and largely
they just wrap C/Fortran numerical libraries. It is also distributed with
batteries included that make it trivial to install these days. It seems like
Racket can do this too.

How feasible would it be to use Racket to solve the problems described here:
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu/pycse/pycse.pdf

I am trying to gauge how difficult it would be to start using Racket for these
problems. Does anyone know of any similar kinds of projects as my Python
project above in Racket?

Thanks!