On 2015-12-04 08:02:40 -0800, brendan wrote:
> ...Y'know, let me concentrated my obvious noobness in one post :) and ask a
> silly question: why is "free-identifier=?" so named? It compares identifier
> bindings, which obviously implies that the identifiers are not "free" at all.
> I only got the hang of that one when I started mentally renaming it to
> "identifier-binding-site=?".

I agree that the name isn't great because it's technical jargon from
programming languages (PL).

It comes from how PL people refer to variables as "bound" or "free". In an
expression like (lambda (x) x) we say that x is bound. In an expression like
(+ 1 x) or (lambda (y) x) we say that x is free.

When you use free-identifier=?, you are comparing two identifiers to see if
they would refer to the same thing if you put them in an expression as free
references like above.

Cheers,
Asumu