At Mon, 21 Dec 2015 21:30:45 -0700, Leif Andersen wrote:
> Ah, that's a good question. One that I don't really know the answer
> too, because when I do:
>
> > (compile #'(begin
>                (define-syntax (foo stx)
>                  (displayln "hello")
>                  #'5)
>                foo))
>
> I get back the compiled object.

The compiled object ends with a reference to a top-level `foo`
variable, not an expansion of the `foo` macro.

> Also foo is not displayed.

That's because the `foo` macro was only compiled, not bound, and so the
ending `foo` didn't reference it.

>  And when I do:
>
>  > (eval (compile #'(begin
>                (define-syntax (foo stx)
>                  (displayln "hello")
>                  #'5)
>                foo)))
>
> I get the error:
>
> foo: undefined;
>  cannot reference an identifier before its definition

That demonstrates the reference to `foo`, which is never defined as a
variable.

Confusingly, however, `foo` at this point is bound to a macro. To make
sense of that, you have to remember that there are two levels to
identifier resolution. The first is a binding layer that points `foo`
to either a module import, a top-level macro, or a top-level variable.
In the case of a variable, a second layer maps the variable name to its
value. Compilation commits to a choice in the first layer; it commits
to the the `foo` as a variable reference before that first layer is
changed to make `foo` a macro.

> But, when I do:
>
> > (expand #'(begin
>                (define-syntax (foo stx)
>                  (displayln "hello")
>                  #'5)
>                foo))
>
> It displays 'hello' to the console. And expands to what I would expect it too.

That example doesn't display anything if you try it in a fresh REPL.
But if you continue in the same REPL as the previous `eval`, then it's
the other `foo` that gets used as a macro here, not this one.