Thanks Ben,

I've stumbled upon time-ticks but initially discarded it as in the project I
had in mind the data points need to be uniformly spaced not the time ticks
(measurement is made based on other triggers irrelevant of discrete time -
believe it or not it has its uses :) ) and time is used for ordering and for x
labels.
But your examples and pointing to time-ticks showed me some work with
time-series which is good point to start with, so thank you.
I will play with it but I think it is doable what I have in mind - plot seems
to be quite mature.

Greg