I guess painting everything black is more confusing, because black is
used to mark the uncovered parts. The students will think that
everything is wrong.

I think that a better possibility is to add a backcolor (and
forecolor) to the code covered by the test. I vote for very light
green,  #C0FFC0, because green usually means ok. So each time they add
more test, they will get more green background until everything is
green.

Gustavo