On 3/16/2016 10:29 PM, Matthias Felleisen wrote:

This has gotten me rejection replies:

  (smtp-send-message
(dns-get-address (dns-find-nameserver) "smtp.gmail.com <http://smtp.gmail.com>")
   "matth...@ccs.neu.edu <mailto:matth...@ccs.neu.edu>"
   actual-send-to-addresses
   addresses-put-into-header
   file
   #:port-no 465
   ; for gmail don't include the @gmail.com <http://gmail.com>
   #:auth-user “foobarf@"
   #:auth-passwd “XYZ"
   #:tcp-connect ssl-connect))

Gmail is a PITA. It drove me crazy last year testing email code for my web application - the deployment system had a local SMTP service to use, but my development system didn't.

Gmail is very critical of the message format - it has to be (more or less) 100% correct. If there are any errors in the message string you are very likely to get rejected.

No matter what "from" address you specify, the address that appears in the received email will that of the Gmail user. The specified address appears in an extra header - "X-Google-Original-From" - but the receiver will never see that unless they look for it. I have not tried using a "reply-to" header with Gmail.

Also, AFAIK, Gmail's SMTP server does require the domain of the authorized user: e.g., "foob...@gmail.com". I was not able to make it work otherwise. I think this is because there are both @gmail.com and @google.com addresses that it recognizes.

George