Matthew,

On 05/19/2016 12:33 AM, Matthew Flatt wrote:
There's not a good way to do this outside the primitives, because it's
a matter of selecting the right GTK widgets.

I've added 'hide-hscroll and 'hide-vscroll, which are like 'hscroll and
'vscroll (i.e., they allow the panel's size to be smaller than its
content) but never show the corresponding scrollbar.
Thank you so much. I am eager to try this new feature. I can not figure a good way to set it up on my machine. I have Racket 6.5 release. My first thought was "let me try this new package system":

$ sudo raco pkg update gui
Inferred package scope: installation
Resolving "gui" via https://download.racket-lang.org/releases/6.5/catalog/
Resolving "gui-lib" via https://download.racket-lang.org/releases/6.5/catalog/ Resolving "gui-doc" via https://download.racket-lang.org/releases/6.5/catalog/
No updates available

Second thought was to check the latest snapshot (d0d85b2, commit in racket/racket made ~3h later than yours in racket/gui). That did not work, too -- the commit of interest is not included into the snapshot.

What would you recommend? Is there a catalog similar to Debian "unstable" repo that I can sync to?

Best regards,

Dmitry

At Wed, 18 May 2016 23:37:02 +0300, Dmitry Pavlov wrote:
Matthew,

  > One possible fix is to add the 'hscroll style to the horizontal panel.
  > That change moves the program into "defined behavior" territory, since
  > a scrolling panel allows its content to be wider than itself.

I just tried that and I see that it shows a scrollbar under the
panel that I would not like the user to see. Is there a way to hide it?

That is indeed in "undefined behavior" territory for the GUI library,
because `racket/gui` doesn't pin down what happens when widgets overlap
(including panels and buttons).
OK, but the panel with 'hscroll somehow handles the controls that go
outside of the panel's geometry, can I do the same manually?
Or the scrolling mechanism is hidden in a primitive?

Best regards,

Dmitry