The current-render-pict-adjust functionality isn't really designed to
work around your disagreements with font designers about how much
space they put around letter forms. :)   .... or am I misinterpreting
your comment? If that's really an accurate characterization, then you
might actually try just hacking the font itself?

As for current-render-pict-adjust, I can't really be sure without
seeing some Redex code, but I guess what's happening is that the equal
sign that's being added isn't getting the negative inset. And
current-render-pict-adjust is designed to let you interpose on the
bits that come from your model. If that theory is right, you might try
using current-text.

hth,
Robby